2013 Fundraiser

Emily von Jentzen is an Ultra Marathon Swimmer who completes lengthy endurance swims to raise money for children with special medical conditions.


Donate Now

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Testing, Testing...123

It's been a while again!  Sorry for my silence....I think about blogging almost every day...but usually bed time sneaks up on me before I find a spare minute to accomplish the task.

I have been 100% wetsuit free since my last post!  It's been really fun, I feel more at home in the water.  It's kind of cool to think about how a lot of the open water greats swam with the simplicity of a normal swim suit, cap and goggles.  With all the hi-tech gadgets, suits and wetsuits...its kind of refreshing to just swim in a suit.  I haven't been feeling cold during my swims at all...which is GREAT...especially since the lakes I've been swimming in are a bit colder than Canyon Ferry.

I did a "test" swim on Saturday to try out a few new nutrition products (Generation Ucan and Accellerade), to have a post swim blood test to check my kidney function and to monitor temperature changes over a longer period of time without a wetsuit.

The test swim was an 8 hour practice.  I felt pretty awesome the first 4 hours, but then one of the products disagreed with my tummy and I had a little tummy distress the last 4 hours.  Some modifications will have to be made to the menu....but figuring this stuff out is half the fun.

My shoulders responded excellent during the swim--I feel completely ready to go in that regard.  I was not even really sore Sunday at all--even felt good enough for a two hour horseback ride!

My post swim blood test came back good as well.  I haven't had my doctor appointment yet but my doctor texted me that the results looked great.  So yay for good functioning kidneys.  :)

My niece Hannah has been staying with me the past week and will be here until Saturday.  We have had a blast swimming all over the place (she is a swimmer too!) and the dogs sure love having her around.

Today I'm heading to Helena and then Fairmont Hot springs for a work conference.  I will be in Helena on and off for the rest of the week and will get a few swims in Canyon Ferry if the weather agrees....so far there are only lightening predictions on one day this week.

Will post some pics of Canyon Ferry later this week!

~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment