2013 Fundraiser

Emily von Jentzen is an Ultra Marathon Swimmer who completes lengthy endurance swims to raise money for children with special medical conditions.


Donate Now

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Loving this life

I don't have anything too exciting to report today....lightening storms kept me from my afternoon adventures...which is unfortunate because I had a lot of pent up frustration I could have used a good workout to sort that out.....but I've made a deal with the weather that all thunder/lightening storms need to get out of mother nature's system in the next 14 days, so that 16 days from now we are all clear!

Today I'm going to write about my top 20 unglamorous things about my life as an ultra marathon swimmer...that I secretly love.

1. I'm always in a rush...every minute saved is an extra minute I could be swimming.  Going into work early means I get to leave early and swim more!
2. My arms, most of my back and half of my face are beautifully tan...the rest of me is a nice shade of winter-montana-white.
3. Mascara is the only makeup I wear...saves money and getting ready to leave the house is quick and easy.
4. My average time in the shower is 5 minutes and I prefer cold showers.
5. I usually only have the energy to shave one leg when I shower...so there's a rotation.
6. I eat a lot of pizza...mostly homemade.
7. I scrimp and save vacation/comp time at work to use on swimming adventures.
8. Sleeping in for me is getting up at 6...and my dogs are so used to the routine that they are more reliable than my alarm clock.
9. I have no social life...mostly because I go to bed earlier than most 6 year olds.
10. I'm pretty sure I am now immune to icy hot...
11. I really dislike wearing shoes.
12. I check weather forecasts more than I check Facebook (and I check facebook a lot).
13. I'm quite certain I dream of swimming in my sleep....and in my dreams there are waves or a lot of poorly executed flip-turns based upon the positions in which I wake up.
14. The only time I catch up on housework is after consecutive "off days" (but really who likes cleaning anyhow.
15. My favorite post swim snack is chocolate milk.
16. I've, on more than one occasion, chased my dog around the house while he tried to devour a water bottle I left within reach.
17. I've also had several dog chases where my favorite swim suit was the potential victim...but running is good cross training.
18. Two words...goggle rings.  Oh so fashionable.
19. Recovery days where I can literally lay on the couch all day long watching ridiculous television are common.
20. I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere and can be out within 2 minutes of my head hitting the pillow...which is what I'm about do get to now!  :)

But I love it....every bit of it.  :)

~Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment